To connect with today’s modern customers, today’s businesses constantly have to be in storytelling mode. This is true for businesses who sell products and services to consumers (B2C) and for businesses who sell products and services to other businesses (B2B).
The stories that are shared will sometimes be told very directly (in a traditional marketing sense) and sometimes will be told and shaped more indirectly, via a more modern, content marketing type approach. Additionally, the medium that is used to tell these stories should and will vary. Sometimes the stories will be laid out in text and posted to blogs or articles, and other times the stories will be scripted and told via a more modern approach, using video.
For the purposes of this article, we are going to focus on the two more modern forms of storytelling. We’ll share why Content Marketing is important to connect with today’s customers and then look at how video can be used as a highly effective means of delivering the content and telling those stories. We’ll then share some examples of what business stories told through video could be about. We'll wrap it up with some recommendations for how to get started and get the most out of telling your business stories with Video Content Marketing.
Why should business stories be told via Content Marketing?
If you own or operate a small or medium sized business today, you’ve likely heard the expression that “Content is King”. The expression holds true because it has become so critical to develop content and/or share content that engages your customers and your prospective customers on a regular basis. There are several reasons this is important…
1. Fresh content that is interesting, insightful, or entertaining gives you a reason to reach out to your existing customers and subscribers and helps keep your business top-of-mind.
2. Content that is created for your business gets shared with others so it helps expand your reach and attract new customers.
3. Content helps build and strengthen your online presence because search engines like Google love new content (SEO).
4. Content helps build and strengthen your social media presence…it’s tough to engage your network of people if you aren’t giving them anything of value (insightful, interesting, or entertaining).
Why is video the best medium to create content to tell business stories?
If “Content Is King” then “Video Is the King Of Content”! Here are just a few of the facts that help outline why video is the most consumed, most shared, and most valued form of content today.
1. Video is a Social Media superstar, with an estimated 75,000 YEARS of video watched EACH DAY on SnapChat, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter combined! (assumes 30 seconds per video average for Facebook and SnapChat).
2. People today prefer video, as evidence shows that 4 times as many people would rather watch a video about a product (or service) than read about it.
3. Video gets the best results, as evidenced by the striking statistic that businesses that use video grow revenue 49% faster than businesses that don’t (last I checked, revenue growth is still a pretty important metric for most businesses).
*Note the sources for each of these stats can be found on www.vizoodeo.com
What are some examples of a Business Story?
When you think about it, your small or medium sized business has a lot to say. You have interesting stories about your business or your industry, you have insightful information that relates to your products or your services, and there are some fun and entertaining things that may happen in your business (or you can make them entertaining), which would make a great business story. To help you envision what types of stories that your business can tell, let’s take a look at three types of businesses, and brainstorm what types of stories that they may be able to tell.
Business # 1: A Florist who sells directly to consumers (B2C), but also does a lot of business with other companies (B2B).